Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Welcome Back and Brain Rules...

Welcome back to returning students and "welcome" to our new first grade friends!  I am so excited to see you all and look forward to learning with you this year.  I wanted to share with you some great tips from a book that I enjoyed reading this summer.  The book is called, Brain Rules, by John Medina and I bought it at the airport in Sydney, Australia when my husband and I traveled there in June.  It was a great read and something that has tips from which we could all benefit.  The book actually lists 12 "rules" that relate to how our brains "work".  It combines science with things that we do in our everyday lives and I was very excited to read it.  I am going to list the rules and then perhaps re-visit them in future blog posts.  Also, feel free to contact me if you would like more information about the "rules".

Rule #1
Exercise boosts brain power.
Rule #2
The human brain has evolved over time.
Rule #3
Every brain is wired differently.
Rule #4
We don't pay attention to boring things.
Rule #5
Repeat to remember (to store things in your memory).
Rule #6
Remember to repeat.
Rule #7
Sleep well, think well.
Rule #8
Stressed brains don't learn the same way.
Rule #9
Stimulate more of the senses.
Rule #10
Vision trumps all other senses.
Rule #11
Male and female brains are different.
Rule #12
We are powerful and natural explorers.

I am often reading articles and books about brain research and we all need to remember that just like our physical muscles, our reading and brain "muscles" also become stronger when they are exercised regularly.  Hopefully we will all work hard this year and "grow" our brains as we explore, read, and learn new things.  We also spoke quite a bit during our teacher inservice time about "creativity" which is a passion of mine and I ran across this video which I really enjoyed and wanted to share with you all -

Rules to spark learning video



No comments:

Post a Comment